asked questionsfrequently

An outreach program for family violence

(901) 870-2990more

What is an Order of Protection?

· An Order of Protection (OOP) is a court order that is designed to protect you.  It is issued by a judge and tells the respondent  (the person hurting you) what he/she an or can not do.  It is enforceable where it is issued in all 50 states.


What does an Order of Protection do?

· Forbid respondent from committing further acts of domestic abuse.

· Exclude respondent from your residence.

· Prohibit respondent from entering your place of employment, school, etc.

· Require respondent to participate in counseling.

· Award temporary custody of child(ren) to one parent and establish temporary visitation.

· Prohibit respondent to pay temporary support.

· Order respondent to pay you for losses due to abuse, including but not limited to, medical bills, attorney’s fees, property damage, etc.


What should I do if my abuser violates my Order of Protection?

· Call police.  When they arrive, show them the Order.  If there is proof it has been violated, they should either arrest the abuser or refer you back to court.  If they do not make an arrest, ask them to write a police report.

· Notify your attorney of the incident.

· Call your advocate at the Family Advocacy program.


What if I have trouble getting the police to enforce my Order of Protection?

· Contact the court or your advocate to see if they can assist you.

· Contact the State’s Attorneys Office.


How do I document  Violations of the Order of Protection?

· Record the dates, times and places.

· Get a copy of any police reports.

· Every time the police are involved, get their name and badge numbers.

· If you seek medical care because of abuse, ask staff to take pictures for their own records and yours.

· Save all harassing email or voice messages.

· Record every time the abuser tries to contract you through a third party.


How can I get an Order of Protection?

1. If you wish to obtain an OOP independently, the following agency will assist you free of charge.  Contact the Family Advocacy Program at               (901) 870-2990 or mail to P.O. Box 1841  Collierville, Tennessee 38027.

2. If criminal charges are filed against the abuser, you may be able to get an OOP.  Contact your state’s Attorneys Office (901) 545-5900.

3. If filing for divorce, consult you attorney about an OOP, or you may obtain one through the agencies listed above.